Koolau Summit Trail 8-day thru hike by Chase Norton--Chapter 4: The Trip, Day 4 Kipapa to Waimano

Day 4 (03/28/12) Kipapa-Waimano, 10 hrs, 5.5 miles

Total Pack Weight: 28.6125 lb. 

If moving fast one can reach Waimano by 2pm. Leave Kipapa as early as possible. Ups and Downs, Ups and Downs. Hopefully, it will be clear skies to motivate you. Remember at the gap to descend right for water. Also, bring your pack because the side ridge gives better access to gain the summit ridge. The gap to the corner involves the use of side ridges or annoying moss climbing and with a heavy pack I suggest the right side ridges. There was water down where I camped that time. From the corner turn right and head to the Manana terminus which feels longer than it takes. Relax, snack, chill at the terminus, you have about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs ahead of you to get to Waimano. You will know when you are getting close, namely because you start to see it in the distance. It is the flat section before the first major ascent. The last section to Waimano always makes me feel like the Konahuanui to Olympus stretch, not sure why.

  • Kipapa-Ravine 30 min-1hr
  • Ravine-Metal pipe (Possible camp for Day 3) 30 min
  • Metal pipe - Waiawa Gap 1hr- 1hr 30min
  • Waiawa Gap-Corner 3hr
  • Corner to Manana Terminus 30min
  • Manana-Waimano 2hr-2hr 30 min

Determine wind strength and if is mild, camp at a lower point at the Waimano terminus. If the wind is strong, high camp back on Waimano trail ~2 minutes.

Bail: Manana, Waimano

Woke up around 6:45 am from a great night of sleep that involved very light winds and zero rain. I have been averaging 10 hours of sleep every night and it feels amazing on my body. I would had thought by now that my body would be fighting me, but every aspect of this trip so far seemed to be working with me and encouraging a safe and happy trip. 

With smiles on my face I made up a warm cup of coffee and enjoyed my breakfast again to the rising sun. I prepared myself for the hike of that day as in the past it had put serious strain on my body and mind. With my pack, belly and mind ready I stepped off of the KST and onto the Koolau summit towards Waimano at 8 am. Off of the KST, the trail disappears requiring one to wade through leg high vegetation up and down every peak. I knew my first goal was to hit the Waiawa Gap where I should find water – and where lunch was planned. The weather was perfect. Not too hot nor too cold, not too wet nor too dry. I had never seen the summit so clear and it made the going very smooth.

Since I’ve done this section many times in the past I was expecting a 2-3 hour descent to the gap and was shocked when I reached it by 9:45 am!! I credit this to the weather, proper footwear and now a clear (to me) swath. It seems every time I come up here swaths are getting better which is motivating as it lets me know these sections are getting more use. Even a year ago there were zero swaths or signs of any activity. Also, it seems that people are creating leeward contours on some thin ridge portions and these contours are getting use! Gotta love what a small group of people can do. Not hungry at all, I dropped down the lee side of the gap and reached my water source. All water was stagnate and had dead bugs floating around in it but you do what you have to do and I collected 3 liters from various small puddles then filtered through my bandana and dropped the tablets.

Climbing out of the gap involves three major peaks and can be very taxing under wet and muddy conditions. I was fortunate for the dry and sunny conditions. Under any conditions, the climb out of the gap is easiest for me: side ridge, main ridge, side ridge. This bypasses the steep mossy sections that will pointlessly drain energy. Just had to remember to contour windward early to connect back up with the main ridge. Before I knew it, I was looking down on the three challenges and straight ahead at the “Corner”. I laid down and relaxed with clear skies overhead knowing that the worst of the day was behind me and it wasn't even 11am yet!

About this time a helicopter came by and I had to do that awkward non-action that means, “I can’t wave or look at you because I don't want you to think I need help.” The moment passed and I pressed onwards to the beautiful wind swept Corner. Reached it by noon and now was playing a game with myself to see how quickly I could get to Waimano as I had never moved this fast, this smoothly and with this big of a smile across my face. I reached Manana by 12:25pm and took a short five minute break before pressing on to Waimano. The trail to Waimano is wide open these days and after being on non-trails, this might as well have been paved. To Eleao is quick and the windswept area of it is absolutely beautiful. I always loved that name Eleao for some reason.

In the past it has been easy to descend the wrong ridge at this point when socked in but with clear skies and knowledge of the area it made the descent heading towards Waimano easy to find. I felt like I was running to Waimano and could point out the terminus making going even faster. I made it a mission to arrive by 2 pm and would dance around with joy. Then before I knew it after a few ups and downs I arrived at the last uphill contour and knew I had reached it. On the last attempt, I had two friends meet me at Waimano, camped out and crossed over to Aiea with me. The morale boost that was provided allowed me to continue on that trip. This time my morale boast came from the ridiculous time I was making, the beautiful weather I was experiencing and the natural high I was getting from it all.

At 1:58pm I tagged the trail sign and let out a huge yell. I considered moving on to Waimalu middle where there was a camp site I had stayed at on a previous overnighter but the camp at Waimano is really nice. I’ve learned how important a good night’s sleep is on every aspect of the trail and some of my camp decisions were based on this key point. Waimalu middle summit is about 2 hours from Waimano so I told myself just make it an early night and early morning which a good night of sleep would allow.

I love the terminus of Waimano where 6 inches means the difference of wind that could blow you down and slight wind that eases you into sleep. Did my normal evening camp chores (at 2pm!) and went exploring down the small valley behind the camp site until overgrowth got more annoying than fun and headed back up to the camp to get my Kindle. Finding a spot to read was not too difficult at that camp site especially on a day like that.

I have been saying in my emails to some people how this trip is the first time I feel like the summit wants me to be here and that it feels more like fun than work. From previous experiences, I’ve equated this section with misery and struggle. To find myself with 3+ hrs of spare relaxation time boggles my mind to this day. The open time was therapeutic, allowing my soul and mind to focus on the tasks ahead of me instead of the continually feeling of minute to minute survival. 

As the sun began to set I put on my evening clothes, made dinner and got ready for the next day’s hike. I was getting into my book and for the first time stayed awake long enough to see the moon come out. It seemed to light up my entire surroundings. If Kipapa was my favorite night, this had to be my second. I took down my tarp and laid under the light of the moon in my bivy. Looking up into the stars trying to find the constellations kept me mesmerized until I fell into a deep sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mauna Loa summit via Ainapo Trail ascent -- Patrick Rorie

Pololu to Waipio, Part 1 -- by John Hall

Kohala Ditch -- by Pat Rorie